Here’s another tasty tofu dish! It’s inspired by a recipe from the BOSH plant-based cookbook but with an added ingredient of BBQ sauce. It’s a perfect vegan alternative to a Chinese takeaway, full of healthy nutrients.
- Eat in less than an hour
- serves 3
- The firmer the tofu the better, it makes it easier to form into crispy pieces.
- Tofu (any tofu can work but extra-firm cuts out the pressing time)
- Spring onions
- Orange juice
- 2 lemons
- Sweet chilli sauce
- BBQ sauce
- Sesame seeds
- Use a sieve to cover a chopping board in a thin layer of cornflour.
- Chop tofu into sticks and gently roll each piece across the chopping board, ensuring each piece is completely coated in cornflour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and gently place the tofu pieces in.
- Fry tofu on medium heat, turning every few minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Stir fry the mushrooms, garlic and onion in a separate pan.
- For the sauce, add two lemons, 1 cup of orange juice, sweet chill sauce and BBQ sauce into a pan and allow to simmer down to a sticky consistency. This usually takes about 15 minutes on a low-medium heat.
- Chop spring onions
- Combine in one pan and serve with rice, topping with spring onion and sesame seeds.